Monday, June 12, 2006

 

New York to Hot Springs

For all of my loyal blog readers, I must apologize for my failure to post recently. Last week I bsolutely could not log onto the site to update it and I was out f town this weekend. So...we have a lot of catching up to do, so here goes:

If you have been listening to the show (or have spoken to me since Wednesday) you now know that I am officially in training for the 2006 ING New York City Marathon! Yes, it's true. The man who said at mile 23 of the Marine Corps Marathon that if I ever considered running another one to beat me in the head with the metal end of a rubber hose is in training again. (No hoses, please...the training will be painful enough). Through a lottery process that included more than 90,000 entrants, I was selected to join 37,500 other elite runners in the Big Apple Nov. 5 to run the Super Bowl of Marathons! Lance Armstrong will be there. Worl Record holder Paul Tergat will be there. And, I WILL BE THERE! Training has already begun and I am shooting for unfer 4:20:00 ... that's 4 hours and 20 minutes. Pray for me. Thanks for all the support!

As for this weekend, I left with my parents Friday for Hot Springs, Arkansas, for my cousin's wedding. I guess I am a bit of a sellout (or just plain smart) as I bypassed much of the 7 hour drive by sleeping in the back of the Suburban. Can you blame me? Rural Arkansas and Louisiana at midnight aren't exactly the most scenic places in the known world. Saturday was great. I got to spend time with family I had not seen in more than a year and got to see my little cousin get married. Dana is the one who just graduated from Duke. You may remember I went to visit her in February and was there for the Duke-Miami basketball game. The wedding was fantastic, but there were a few details that perplexed me:
1) Why on God's green earth would you have an outside wedding in the south in JUNE?!?!?!?! It was 97 degrees and HOT!!
2) For the first time EVER I was at a wedding reception with NO alcohol.

Now, alcohol obviously does not make or break the party, but it was unusual for me. When we did the toast for the bride and groom, we used champagne glasses, but they were filled with water! Why bother? Oh well! I love my cousin, she married a great man and it was awesome seeing the family.

Now it appears we have our first named storm of the Hurricane Season ... let the mass hysteria begin!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, that's all for me. I am so opposed to overhyping storms. If it gets close and warrants mentioning, you will hear from me. I believe the reason people are so numb to storms is because we are psyched out by the media every time there is a named storm, yet we may see wind from one a season. We all need to relax and keep our senses about us. If a big one is coming, get out! If not, relax. That's all.

Peace!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?