Wednesday, June 21, 2006

 

Why I Hate The NBA

To an avid sports fan, this NBA Finals appeared to have everything. On Miami's side, you have a group of veteran players like Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton and Antoine Walker chasing their first title. Shaq is trying to make good on a promise and bring a championship to Miami after winning three with the Lakers. Pat Riley is trying to become the only coach to win a title with two teams. Not to mention, the most electrifying player in the game today, Dwyane Wade is making his bid to be this generation's Jordan.

For the Dallas Mavericks, you have the rookie coach in Avery Johnson looking to upset the veteran Riley. You have Mark Cuban yelling at the commissioner, andDirk Nowitzki hitting clutch shots and kicking exercise bikes. And all of this came after blowing a 2-0 series lead.

So, Tuesday we have Game 6. Miami going for its first title and Dallas trying to stay alive. Awesome, right?

WRONG!

Instead of excited, I was annoyed. Instead of nervous, I was frustrated. I am not an avid NBA watcher -- I haven't been since the Bulls' run of titles ended after the '98 season. At least then you had the Jordan factor. After watching last night, I can truly say it is obvious why NBA ratings are at desperate lows. Gone are the days of the Celtics where Bird would pass to McHale, pick-and-roll and dish to Parish who slams it home over Kareem. What the NBA has become is a "One Man Show". Players are so athletic now that this is basically what the typical possession looks like:

Point guard dribbles down court, passes to SUPERSTAR at top of key -- HELPLESS OPPONENTS double (and sometimes triple) team SUPERSTAR. Instead of looking for open man, SUPERSTAR drives to the basket as fast and hard as he can and throws up a circus shot. WHISTLE! Foul! Two shots.

In the 2nd half of last night's game, I was so fed up with all of the fouls that were called. It literally seemd like not a single minute went by without the whistle blowing. I decided to test my theory -- and I was right! During the 4th quarter (I watched this) there was never a point where there was 60 seconds of fluid play without a foul being called. HONESTLY! It is the most frustrating thing. Either SUPERSTAR draws contact on his shot, or HELPLESS OPPONENTS hack Shaq or Dirk or anyone else they can't stop and make them win it at the free throw line. Think I'm kidding? Dwyane Wade shot as many free throws (25) in Game 5 as the ENTIRE DALLAS TEAM!!!! That is just not fun.

By the time the game was over, I seriously was hoping Miami would win just so I wouldn't have to sit through another evening of this crap. If something doesn't change in the NBA -- and SOON -- the league is destined to fall apart. Where has the concept of team play gone?

I am actually glad I watched last night, though, because it reinforced my feelings that I absolutely HATE THE NBA!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?