Monday, June 26, 2006

 

Encouraging Start

If you haven't gathered by now, the majority of the information contained in these posts will be about my training for the New York City Marathon. The way my training schedule works out is that I will strengthen my base with short 4-6 mile runs during the week and a long run on Saturday. This past Saturday was my first run longer than 6 miles since I ran the Cleveland Half-Marathon last month.

I was the the LSU lakes at 6 a.m. Saturday planning on an 8 mile run. Keep in mind, my goal is to finish the marathon is 4:20:00--that's a straight 10 minute pace. While that is not a fast running pace, there are a lot of factors to keep in mind on race day ie. crowds, cramping, bathroom breaks etc that all slow your time. So, for my 8 mile run, I was looking to finish in 1:20:00--that's 1 hour, 20 minutes.

As it turns out, I felt great! I ended up running 8.5 miles instead of 8 and finished in 1:20:29. That's 4:30 better than the pace I wanted to keep. This is so encouraging because I feel like I am so far ahead of where I was last year when I was training for the Marine Corps Marathon. At this point a year ago, I was trying to develop my core so I could simply make it through the long runs. Now, I am gaining time each week and becoming a stronger, faster runner. If I keep at this pace, I may need to reevaluate my goals for the race. Thanks for your continued support.

Other than that, I had a fairly uneventful weekend. I am looking for a new place to stay for about a month, as I will have to be out of my apartment by the end of this week. So, I looked for a one bedroom apartment that will lease to me for one month and allows pets. I also went to an engagement party Saturday night and braved the rain in Livingston Parish.

Please Note: If you are planning on having a party outside, please check the weather forecast and plan accordingly.

Peace!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?